Thursday, October 11, 2007

Could the news be any better?

Utter shock. Almost unbelievable.
A miracle?
Luck?
A blessing?
Whatever it is....it is such wonderful news.
I have a new found love for Unions.
Adam has been reinstated at UPS.
After many worrisome and stressful days (105 days to be exact) our persistantacy has paid off. What a relief. Tremendous weight has been lifted and I no longer have to be secretly resentful towards my wonderful husband.
It all started back in May when Adam decided that he didn't really want to work at UPS anymore. The hours stunk, he didn't get enough sleep and the people he worked with were evidently just a drag to be around - not to mention the injuries and wear and tear on his body.
Long story short, we found out via a denied dental claim that his employment had been terminated after 11 LONG years of service with the company.

Adam doesn't work at UPS for the "money" - it's just part-time work so the paychecks don't amount to much however, the benefits are phenomonal!
We get FREE medical and dental insurance for our entire happy little family - and it's GOOD insurance. It's cost us just $800 (in deductibles) to give birth to two children and when Adam was in school finishing his degree UPS paid for a large majority of it through tuition reimbursement. He has continued to work there all these years for these and a few other wonderful benefits.

The official termination date: June 27, 2007.
Insurance cancelled.
Wife 7 months pregnant with baby #3.

I have to go back a bit and say that before we got wind that Adam had been terminated he filed for and was receiving Disability benefits for a shoulder injury. So, how can you be terminated while you are receiving Disability benefits you might ask?
We did too.
Evidently they have really poor communication out there at the airport HUB.
After many fruitless conversations with the DFW HUB HR Manager - Tom Mullins, we filed for COBRA insurance to at least cover us until the baby could be born- $937. just to get us through the end of September and I'm the only one covered.
I'm not too concerned at this point because I'll at least have insurance to cover the costs of the birth.
We then filed an official grievance with the Union asking for Adam's job to be re-instated as if it had never happened. After all, this is worth thousands of dollars to us at this point and it's their fault - right?. We didn't hear a peep, couldn't get a return phone call, we were about to give up! Hire a lawyer? We were mulling that over.
So, me in all my persistance decided that I just couldn't go forward without getting an answer from someone - YES or No - just give me an answer!!! I called the Union Rep - left a message - no return call. Next day, called HR guy...sat on hold 20 minutes - and then lo and behold he FINALLY picked up!!! He said he had just got an email the previous night telling him to reinstate Adam. I about screamed! Who knows if that was the truth...they probably just sat on it thinking we would just go away. Adam will still be out on Disability so for right now he still doesn't have to go in to work - YEAH! He'll be paid back wages through the Disability Fund - not really UPS wages - but it's money just the same to us. We'll get our insurance back - the hospital bills will get paid and I can now take my kids to get their immunizations without having to take them to the county health department. AND...I'll get back the $937. I paid for COBRA.
Now we'll just wait and see how long it takes for all this to take affect.
WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU?

No comments: